Entering the fair
Click here to view the 2016-2017 DRSEF Quick Guide. This great resource gives you the “how-to” on entering the science fair.
You can begin your background research any time but, before starting your actual experimentation, you will need a student project account in Scienteer. Consult the Student Scienteer Guide to see how to set up your account.
Scienteer will use the information you provide to complete required ISEF forms and compile a research plan for you. So it is very important that you answer the questions in Scienteer accurately, otherwise you could be disqualified later if your ISEF forms are not correct. Every step in Scienteer must be completed in order to progress to the next higher fair.
Sometimes the most difficult part of science fair is figuring out what you want to research. Below are some great resources for project ideas that have inspired students from all over the nation.
- Science Buddies
Discovery Education – Science Fair Central
Science Project Ideas for Kids
- Super Science Fair Projects
- Archimedes Initiative
- The best way to prepare for interviews is to review the Judge Page so you can see exactly what the judges will be looking for. You should also familiarize yourself with the ISEF scoring criteria that will be used in category judging.
- Sample Engineering scorecards
- Sample Science scorecards
- Science Category descriptions. It is YOUR responsibility to select an appropriate category. DRSEF will use all the ISEF categories. However, DRSEF will combine similar categories with a small number of entries and offer 4th places in larger categories.
- Display Board Rules: Sizes, use of photos (Consent Form), dangerous materials, etc
What can the Dallas Regional Science Fair do for you?
I was accepted into top-notch universities, including Ivy League schools, when applying for college. SMU and Austin College offered me the President’s Scholarship, the highest merit-based scholarship at their universities; I was offered the prestigious McDermott Scholarship at UTD. Why? Because of my experience in research through Science Fair. I can’t tell you how many college interviews ended up in discussions of my work and I sincerely believe and have been told time and time again that science fair played a big part in my success. It has put me a step above the rest: my experiences in research will obviously be attractive to medical schools, and will therefore help me pursue my dream.
– Jupin Kaur Malhi, SMU Biology student
2010 DRSEF grand prize winner & Science Fair World Champion, Amy Chyao
DRSEF Awards banquet